What’s new at BEACON?
- The 1st Annual UT Summer School for Big Data in Biology will take place May 19-22. Register now!
- UT Austin is hosting the 2nd Annual Symposium in Big Data in Biology (BDiB). Free for BEACON members!
- Lots of BEACON Friday seminars are now available on our YouTube channel!
BEACON is a consortium of
@BEACON on Twitter
- Depictions of mental illness in pop culture: a comparative case study of The Tick vs. The Maxx June 25, 2014
- A Grievous Oversight (x2!) June 20, 2014
- Aaaaaaahh. . . June 15, 2014
TagsArt and Evolution artificial intelligence Avida bacteria BEACON Researchers at Work bioinformatics Biological Evolution chemical communication Computer Science Cooperation development Digital Evolution Drosophila E. coli ecology Education Engineering Evolution 101 evolutionary algorithms Evolutionary Applications Evolutionary Computation experimental evolution Field Biology fitness fitness landscapes genetic algorithms genomics host-parasite coevolution hyenas Kellogg Biological Station long term evolution experiment mate choice modeling Outreach phylogenetics plant biology predator-prey quorum sensing sexual selection sexual signaling speciation sticklebacks video Video games Viruses
Tag Archives: Synthetic biology
This week’s Evolution 101 blog post is by UW graduate student Bryan Bartley. Synthetic biology is a new frontier in biological research where scientists and engineers are creating living systems out of molecular chemistry. In the last half century, the … Continue reading
This week’s BEACON Researchers at Work blog post is by University of Idaho postdoc Martina Ederer. After working on many different projects in a number of different labs, I always seem to come back to the study of evolution. Hence, … Continue reading
This week’s BEACON Researchers at Work post is by University of Washington postdoc Sean Sleight. Synthetic biology is a relatively new field that uses engineering principles to design and build novel biological functions and systems. In 2000, Michael Elowitz and … Continue reading